Tuesday, September 7, 2010
Heirloom Tomato Bisque
4 pounds heirloom tomatoes
6 cloves garlic
1 bulb fennel
2 large carrots
1/4 cup fresh oregano
1/4 cup fresh thyme
handful of basil leaves
2 cups chicken broth
4 cups vegetable stock
1 cup Arborio rice (I used 1/2 cup brown rice)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Cut the tomatoes in half and place in baking dish, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast tomatoes in oven for about 45 minutes.
3. While the tomatoes are in the oven, julienne the onion and fennel bulb and chop the carrots.
4. Pick the oregano leaves, thyme leaves and basil leaves off their stems. Reserve for later.
5. Heat 4 tablespoons olive oil in a stock pot over low to medium heat, add the onions, garlic, and fennel and caramelize in the pan. Season with salt and pepper.
6. De glaze the pan with chicken and vegetable stock.
7. Add the tomatoes from the oven to the stock.
8. Add the uncooked rice and herbs to the pot. Simmer for 45 minutes and puree in a blender.